Sunday 11 March 2018

Mothering Sunday

Mothering Sunday


Happy Mother's Day!


I was thinking about Mothering 
Sunday - its origins and customs,
when it dawned on me that I
haven't seen a Simnel Cake for a
long while.  Do any of you bake
them for Mothering Sunday? 
Can they even still be bought?

 Craftyfield has popped in with
 a lovely bright card to share
with you:



"Gelatos are great for adding colour quickly
 to a project. Here I used them dry as this
 is my favourite technique with them.


I simply scribbled the colours over
 the stencil, held in place with masking 
tape and rubbed a dry baby wipe over. 

A brush will work equally well for this.

If you want clean colours, use a clean 
piece of wipe everytime you change
 colours, especially when working with 
complementary colours which together 
make greys... (Blue/Orange; Yellow/Violet, 
Red/Green).


For a quicker background, you can
 create a stripe with masking tape,
 instead of doing the whole card 
front as I did. 

Or stencil just 2 corners, or inside a 
heart stencil... the possibilities are endless.

If you are doing the whole card front 
with a small stencil like I did, be 
mindful of the pattern repeat. 

The one I used for instance had a 
vertical repeat, but I couldn't find 
a way to join the design horizontally! 

No matter... the joint will be mostly
 hidden by the focal image.

Over to you, have a play 
with these sticks, they are great fun!"

You'll find Gelatos here:

Or you could use Distress Crayons
They are fun to use too and
come in the Distress colours so
can be matched to your project.
They can be found here:

Thank you Craftyfield - love that
background


I know that in other countries, 
Mother's Day falls at different times
of the year.  Also, there are other
customs - do please share what
you do in your country

'Till tomorrow

Mickie xx


3 comments:

  1. No simnel cake here... although I was convinced it was an Easter thing. Hoping for a relaxing day with my men at my beck and call!(wishful thinking...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought Simnel cake was for Easer? Lovely card from Christine, happy Mother's day to all xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous effect with those Gelatos. The background is so creative and those flowers are gorgeous. Thank you for the step by step and the tips along the way. Great stencil work and such an eye catching card x

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.